Fault Current Analysis for Commercial Solar
Online Short Course
Fault currents can occur in grid-connected PV systems. They have the potential of causing significant damage to electrical system and are hazardous to life. As you move into commercial and industrial scale sites that have higher PV system power ratings, fault currents require more attention when developing the system.
As a result, Distribution Network Service Providers (or DNSPs) require short circuit studies to determine the significance of installing a PV system in their network.
This course will cover various topics including:
- Fundamentals of fault currents
- Fundamentals of protection devices and equipment
- DNSP requirements
- Calculating short circuit currents
- Using software to analyse the fault current produced by a PV system on an existing network
Is this course for you?
This course was designed primarily with commercial and industrial (C&I) systems in mind. If you are looking to enter the solar C&I industry, this will be the perfect course for you to get an introduction to fault current analysis.
Students gain immediate access to the full course upon enrolment.
- If you are enrolling yourself in this course, do NOT tick the “Purchase for someone else” box. Your account on this website, created during checkout or a previous purchase, will provide the details required for your automatic account creation on our student training portal. You will receive course login details via email within a few minutes after purchase.
- If you are enrolling one or more students other than yourself, please tick the “Purchase for someone else” box. You will receive an email within a few minutes after purchase. Use the link included in this email to enter the student/s details (this may include yourself), and the accounts will be created on our student training portal.
- Ensure names are entered as they should appear on the completion certificate. Student’s names and email addresses can only be altered after enrolment by GSES staff. Ensure email addresses are entered correctly, as this is how course access is provided.
If you experience any technical issues during enrolment, please contact the GSES office on firstname.lastname@example.org or +61 2 9024 5312. Staff will be available to assist during business hours only (AEST/AEDT).
A working knowledge of designing PV systems according to AS/NZS 5033 is recommended for this course.
This interactive online course provides a structured approach to understanding the key components of fault current analysis. By the end of the course students will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of fault currents
- Explain the fundamentals of protection devices and equipment
- List DNSP requirements
- Calculate short circuit currents
- Use software to analyse the fault current produced by a PV system on an existing network
Students that complete the course successfully will receive a certificate of completion stating they have completed the Fault Current Analysis for Commercial Solar course. This course is eligible for 30 core CPD points with the Clean Energy Council (CEC), valid until 8 October 2022, and 2 hours professional development with Engineers Australia.
Materials and Equipment
A computer or mobile device with internet access is required.
Delivery Method and Duration
This course is estimated to take 2 hours to complete. The course is self-paced and has an access duration of 1 year. The delivery is done online through videos, worked examples and quizzes.
Cancellation and Refunds
A full refund is available within 14 days of purchase, on the condition that the student/s have not yet logged into the student portal. Due to the online nature of the course, no refunds are possible once the course has been accessed on the student portal.