Communications, Monitoring and Control
Online Short Course
The Communications, Monitoring and Control Course is an online video-based course that provides a comprehensive introduction to the components and protocols commonly used within electrical communication systems. It also provides insight into systems specific to solar installations along with common industry mistakes and how to troubleshoot these.
The course is particularly relevant for those with PV experience wishing to expand their knowledge into understanding how system control and monitoring works within an energy system.
This is a GSES Auto-Enrol course. Before purchase, please read the Important Enrolment Information in the description section below to ensure a smooth and speedy enrolment.
Important Enrolment Information
This course uses Auto-Enrol, which means students gain immediate access to the full course upon enrolment. Because the enrolment process is completed automatically, please note the following to ensure correct enrolment:
- If you are only enrolling yourself in this course, do not tick the “Purchase for someone else” box. Your account on this website, created during checkout or a previous purchase, will provide the details required for your automatic account creation on our student training portal. You will receive course login details via email within a few minutes after purchase.
- If you are enrolling one or more students other than yourself, please tick the “Purchase for someone else” box. You will receive an email within a few minutes after purchase. Use the link included in this email to enter the student/s details (this may include yourself), and the accounts will be created on our student training portal.
- Please ensure names are entered as they should appear on the completion certificate. Student’s names and email addresses can only be altered after enrolment by GSES staff. Ensure email addresses are entered correctly, as this is how course access is provided.
If you experience any technical issues during enrolment, please contact the GSES office on email@example.com or +61 2 9024 5312. Staff will be available to assist during business hours only (AEST/AEDT). Note that tax invoices are issued manually, which may take a few working days from enrolment.
Basic knowledge of PV and PV-battery system components.
This interactive video-based online course provides a structured approach to understanding the communications, monitoring and control systems used in electrical energy systems. By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Understand communications, monitoring and control requirements for PV systems
- Understand common communication, monitoring and control protocols and technologies
- Interpret network architecture diagrams
- Troubleshoot common errors, such as CTs installed the wrong way around
Students will receive a GSES certificate of completion stating they have completed the GSES Communications, Monitoring and Control Course.
Materials and Equipment
A computer, laptop, table, or phone with reliable internet access.
Delivery Method and Duration
Delivery is online comprising of video content and book sections with short quizzes at the end of each topic. Tutor support is available if required. There are additional course resources such as case study network architecture diagrams and a glossary.
This online course is self-paced. We estimate it may take approximately 4 hours to complete, however this can vary. Course access is valid for 12 months.
Cancellation and Refunds
A full refund is available within 14 days of purchase, on the condition that the student/s have not yet logged into the student portal. Due to the online nature of the course, no refunds are possible once the course has been accessed on the student portal.