Power Cable Selection for PV Systems
Online Short Course
Power Cable Selection for PV Systems is an online technical course that explores selecting power cables based on the Australian Standard, AS/NZS 3008. In this course, learners will be taken though each step of the cable selection process as outlined in AS/NZS 3008, with a strong focus on compliance, performance and design best practices to ensure a smooth transition from the design to installation phase of a project. Different sizing and selection methods for DC, single phase AC and three phase AC cables are included. The course content includes:
- Basic principles of cable selection
- Sizing based on current carrying capacity
- Sizing based on voltage rise and drop
- Sizing based on short circuit temperature limit
- Economic considerations
- Using software
Is this course for you?
This course was designed primarily with commercial and industrial (C&I) systems in mind. If you are looking to enter the solar C&I industry, this will be the perfect course for you to perfect your cable selection skills. The same fundamental skills can be applied to all levels and sizes of PV systems so consider enrolling in this course if you want to gain a more in-depth understanding of the cable selection process.
Students gain immediate access to the full course upon enrolment.
- If you are enrolling yourself in this course, do NOT tick the “Purchase for someone else” box. Your account on this website, created during checkout or a previous purchase, will provide the details required for your automatic account creation on our student training portal. You will receive course login details via email within a few minutes after purchase.
- If you are enrolling one or more students other than yourself, please tick the “Purchase for someone else” box. You will receive an email within a few minutes after purchase. Use the link included in this email to enter the student/s details (this may include yourself), and the accounts will be created on our student training portal.
- Ensure names are entered as they should appear on the completion certificate. Student’s names and email addresses can only be altered after enrolment by GSES staff. Ensure email addresses are entered correctly, as this is how course access is provided.
If you experience any technical issues during enrolment, please contact the GSES office on firstname.lastname@example.org or +61 2 9024 5312. Staff will be available to assist during business hours only (AEST/AEDT).
A working knowledge of designing PV systems according to AS/NZS 5033 is recommended for this course.
Delivery Method and Duration
This course is estimated to take 5 hours to complete. The course is self-paced and has an access duration of 1 year. The delivery is done online through written material, videos and quizzes.
Cancellation and Refunds
A full refund is available within 14 days of purchase, on the condition that the student/s have not yet logged into the student portal. Due to the online nature of the course, no refunds are possible once the course has been accessed on the student portal.
Students that complete the course successfully will receive a certificate of completion. Clean Energy Council accredited designers/installers will be eligible for 15 CPD points.