This course is designed for electricians who are accredited to design and install grid-connected photovoltaic systems and wish to further their skills to design and install grid-connected battery storage. The majority of the course is completed online; students can book the dates for their 3-day face-to-face practical after achieving a set proportion of the online work. Practical sessions are held regularly in Sydney and the current schedule can be found at this link. Note that dates are subject to minimum and maximum numbers, and places cannot be guaranteed until the necessary amount of online work is completed. Course access is valid for 12 months.
Prerequisites: Unrestricted electrical licence issued by an Australian state or territory, and competency in the following units of competency:
- UEENEEK125A – Solve basic problems in photovoltaic energy apparatus
- UEENEEK135A – Design grid connected photovoltaic power supply systems
- UEENEEK148A – Install, configure and commission grid-connected photovoltaic power supply systems
These units are considered as ‘required prior learning’ for this course.
Outcome of successful completion: Statement of Attainment for the following Units of Competency and eligible to apply for CEC Battery Storage Design and Install Accreditation (refer to the CEC for any additional requirements).
- UEERE4001: Install, maintain and fault find battery storage systems for grid-connected photovoltaic systems
- UEERE5001: Design battery storage systems for grid-connected photovoltaic systems
Required materials: Students are supplied with the publication Battery Storage Systems for Grid-Connected PV Systems 2nd Edition after enrolment at no additional cost. Students are responsible for obtaining current copies of the following Australian Standards, available for purchase from the SAI Global website or Techstreet website, and also available from some libraries, institutions and industry associations:
- AS/NZS 5139 – Electrical installations – Safety of battery systems for use with power conversion equipment
- AS/NZS 4777.1 – Grid connection of energy systems via inverters – Part 1: Installation requirements
- AS/NZS 5033 – Installation and safety requirements for photovoltaic (PV) arrays
Students will also require the following:
- Computer with reliable Internet connection
- Scientific calculator
- Email account, checked regularly