Structural Certifications for Commercial Solar
Online Short Course
Structural Certifications for Commercial Solar gives students the fundamental knowledge of both building and PV mounting system structural certifications in a convenient online short course.
- Fundamentals of a building structure, including the effects of installing a PV system on the rooftop
- An overview of AS/NZS 1170.2
- Fundamentals and the process of undertaking a structural certification of a commercial building
- Fundamentals of mounting system certifications
Most commercial buildings are not specifically designed to account for a PV system when they are built. It is the system designer’s responsibility to ensure that the building is capable for withstanding the additional load without affecting its structural integrity.
Attaining a structural certification for the commercial building and mounting structure has a direct influence on multiple aspects of a PV system. From ensuring compliance with AS/NZS 5033 and AS/NZS 1170.2, all the way to minimising liability and financial risks for stakeholders.
Is this course for you?
This course is for any person who wants to increase their familiarity of structural certification of mounting systems and commercial buildings in association with a PV system. Council and government professionals, sales people, engineers and installers are all encouraged to take this course.
This course is currently not eligible for CPD points with the Clean Energy Council (CEC).
This course is eligible for 2 hours professional development with Engineers Australia
Students gain immediate access to the full course upon enrolment.
- If you are enrolling yourself in this course, do NOT tick the “Purchase for someone else” box. Your account on this website, created during checkout or a previous purchase, will provide the details required for your automatic account creation on our student training portal. You will receive course login details via email within a few minutes after purchase.
- If you are enrolling one or more students other than yourself, please tick the “Purchase for someone else” box. You will receive an email within a few minutes after purchase. Use the link included in this email to enter the student/s details (this may include yourself), and the accounts will be created on our student training portal.
- Ensure names are entered as they should appear on the completion certificate. Student’s names and email addresses can only be altered after enrolment by GSES staff. Ensure email addresses are entered correctly, as this is how course access is provided.
If you experience any technical issues during enrolment, please contact the GSES office on firstname.lastname@example.org or +61 2 9024 5312. Staff will be available to assist during business hours only (AEST/AEDT).
This course has no prerequisites. Basic knowledge of physics and maths is recommended.
Materials and Equipment
A computer or mobile device with internet access is required.
Delivery Method and Duration
This course is estimated to take 2 hours to complete. The course is self-paced and has an access duration of 1 year. The delivery is done online through written material, videos and quizzes.
Cancellation and Refunds
A full refund is available within 14 days of purchase, on the condition that the student/s have not yet logged into the student portal. Due to the online nature of the course, no refunds are possible once the course has been accessed on the student portal.
- Structural effects of installing a PV system on the rooftop
Fundamentals of AS/NZS 1170.2
- Determining the site wind speed
- Determining the regional wind gust speed
- Wind Direction Multiplier (Md)
- Terrain/Height Multiplier (Mz,cat)
- Shielding Multiplier
- Topographic Multiplier
- Determining the design wind speed
- Determining the wind pressure at the site
- Determining the aerodynamic shape factor
Fundamentals of Structural Certification
- Who can perform a structural certification?
- What information is required to perform a structural certification?
- Roof components
- Building details
- Roof details
- What does a structural certificate look like?
- How much should it cost?
- When to undertake a structural assessment
Fundamentals of Mounting System Certification
- Generic Structural Certificates
- Interpreting interface spacing tables
- Site-specific structural assessments
- Interpreting site-specific certificates
Students that complete the course successfully will receive a certificate of completion. This course is currently not eligible for CPD points with the Clean Energy Council.