Introduction to PVSyst: Grid-Connected PV Systems
Online Short Course
The Introduction to PVSyst: Grid-Connected PV Systems is an online video-based course that provides a comprehensive introduction to designing and simulating different types of grid connected PV systems in PVSyst. It also provides an overview into modelling energy yield, defining system losses, as well as performing economic and greenhouse gas analysis on a PV system.
At the end of the course, there is also a simulation-based assessment in response to a design scenario where you can apply the knowledge that you have learnt throughout the course.
The course is particularly relevant for those with Grid-Connected PV design experience wishing to expand their knowledge into software based system design and energy modelling.
Upon completion, CEC (Clean Energy Council) accredited designers/installers will be eligible for 55 CPD points.
This course uses Auto-Enrol, which means students gain immediate access to the full course upon enrolment. Because the enrolment process is completed automatically, please note the following to ensure correct enrolment:
- If you are only enrolling yourself in this course, do not tick the “Purchase for someone else” box. Your account on this website, created during checkout or a previous purchase, will provide the details required for your automatic account creation on our student training portal. You will receive course login details via email within a few minutes after purchase.
- If you are enrolling one or more students other than yourself, please tick the “Purchase for someone else” box. You will receive an email within a few minutes after purchase. Use the link included in this email to enter the student/s details (this may include yourself), and the accounts will be created on our student training portal.
- Student’s names and email addresses can only be altered after enrolment by GSES staff. Please ensure names are entered as they should appear on the completion certificate. Ensure email addresses are entered correctly, as this is how course access is provided.
If you experience any technical issues during enrolment, please contact the GSES office on firstname.lastname@example.org or +61 2 9024 5312. Staff will be available to assist during business hours only (AEST/AEDT).
It is assumed that students have existing knowledge of Grid-Connected PV Systems. They may have completed the Grid-Connected PV System Design course, hold a Clean Energy Council Grid-Connect accreditation or have applicable industry experience across residential, commercial and industrial or utility scale PV systems.
Materials and Equipment
A computer, laptop, tablet, or phone with reliable internet access is required.
Access to either a free trial or full licence access to Version 7 of PVSyst. Note that PVSyst also has specific hardware requirements to operate.
Delivery Method and Duration
Delivery is online comprising video content, theory, and a simulation-based assessment in response to a design scenario where you can apply the knowledge that you have learnt throughout the course. Tutor support is available if required.
This online course is self-paced. We estimate it may take approximately 6 hours to complete, however this can vary. Course access is valid for 12 months. Please note that the free trial version of PVSyst is only valid for one month.
Cancellation and Refunds
A full refund is available within 14 days of purchase, on the condition that the student/s have not yet logged into the student portal. Due to the online nature of the course, no refunds are possible once the course has been accessed on the student portal.
This interactive video-based online course provides a structured approach to understanding the grid-connected PV system design and energy modelling in PVSyst. By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Understand the purpose and functionality of the software and be able to navigate throughout the software.
- Define site characteristics including location and weather data
- Define system characteristics including system orientation, grid power limitation and load consumption modelling.
- Design different types of PV systems using PVSyst including:
- Roof-mounted systems;
- Ground-mounted systems;
- PEG systems;
- Systems that use single axis tracking; and
- Systems featuring bi-facial PV modules.
- Gain an overview of the system losses, and how they impact the simulation of the PV system.
- Perform P50 – P90 estimations for a PV system.
- Perform economic and greenhouse gas abatement analysis on a PV system.
Students can download a GSES certificate of completion stating they have completed the Introduction to PVSyst: Grid-Connected PV Systems course.
Upon completion, CEC (Clean Energy Council) accredited designers/installers will be eligible for 55 CEC CPD points.